ABOUT WEROAD: CONNECTING PEOPLE, CULTURES, AND STORIES
Founded in 2017, WeRoad is a fast-growing startup that is disrupting the travel industry in Italy, Spain, the UK and now also...in Germany and France!
We are a community of travelers, united by their love for travel, adventure, and discovering faraway lands and cultures. We bring together small groups of like-minded millennials and send them on life-changing experiences to 100+ destinations all over the globe.
We're on a mission to design and deliver experiences worth living and sharing, through rewriting the rules of the travel industry.
Our Digital Product team, self-branded the Monkeys, is growing!
Curious? Scroll down this page to learn more about Digital Product (Design + Tech) at WeRoad and check out monkeys.weroad.it
And check out our Monkeys Team here! ;)
ABOUT THE ROLE
JOB TITLE: Senior Back-end (PHP) Engineer
LOCATION: FULL REMOTE
SALARY RANGE: 35k-50k + 10% OF BONUS + 8€ MEAL VOUCHERS
TRAINING BUDGET: for professional development (conferences, courses, meetups)
We are looking for experienced Back-end (PHP) Engineers to join our team and help us build cutting-edge back-end solutions to power our user-facing platforms. With the opportunity of Full-Remote!
You’ll work across the stack, on anything from our APIs to internal tools. No matter what you’re working on, you’ll be contributing to the design, architecture, and scale-up of our platform and will help us roll out new features.
Who are you and what you’ll bring to the table:
- You take ownership and responsibility of your work and find optimal solutions to business requirements
- You have experience with PHP 7.4 and 8.0
- You have a great knowledge of Laravel (8.x)
- You have experience with RESTful APIs design
- You have experience with tests (Unit and Integration)
- You have good knowledge of SQL (Postgres or MySQL databases)
- You have good knowledge of git and related tools (Gitlab, GitlabCI, Github etc.)
- You're not scared of saying "No" and discussing about your ideas and point of view
- Knowledge of Docker and managing containers in development environment
- Knowledge of Pest as testing framework
- Knowledge of microservices architecture
- Knowledge of message brokers such as RabbitMQ
- Knowledge of Vue, not required for this role but appreciated!
What do we do at WeRoad?
WeRoad is made of multidisciplinary teams of Designers, Engineers, and Product Managers that work together as a team, constantly evolving our in-house developed platforms and services:
- Tour operator platform. First released in 2020, it currently enables the core processes of our Product Team such as allotment, buying functionalities, contracting with worldwide suppliers. Still WIP to unleash its full potential.
- Public website and CMS. A well performing public website,, with a custom in-house developed content and layout management system, constantly evolved to fit all the Product and Marketing needs and stay ahead of the competitors.
- Bookings platform. Recently released in its early first version, it is a versatile and scalable platform to manage our current and future booking processes, including the sellable items management and the public end-user frontend
- Coordinator platform. First released in 2019, with the main scope of allowing our coordinators’ community management. Still WIP to enable international scalability and new core functionalities such as tour/coordinator matching and on-tour and post-tour processes management.
Technologies we use:
We’re a fast-growing startup, which means things move fast and change a lot around here. We choose technology based on our needs and to fit our goals
These are programming languages we currently have in production:
- Typescript & Nest.js (new core platform projects), Node.js (small or legacy projects)
- Nuxt.js and Vue.js with Server Side Rendering (for all our frontends and back office platforms)
- PHP8 & Laravel
- Tailwind.css & Buefy
- Python (for our Business Intelligence pipelines)
- PostgreSQL (legacy on MySQL and MongoDb) and Redis
- Service-oriented architecture with RabbitMQ as message bus
- Terraform, Helm and Gitlab CI
- Docker containers in Kubernetes on Google Cloud Platform.
If you like testing new ideas, shipping new products, taking ownership of your work, and getting plenty of things done, you’ll fit in perfectly with our team.
We are OpenSource lovers <3
What we can offer:
In addition to sponsoring on-the-job training to make sure you have time to keep up with new trends and technologies, we offer a number of great benefits in a great startup work environment:
- A free WeRoad trip every year to the destination of your choice. You didn't think we'd leave you hanging, did we? Become one of our Travel Coordinators and you could go abroad even more often.
- Option to work in one of our European offices. WeRoad offices are based in the beating heart of Milan, Madrid, London, Paris and Berlin, and you’ll have the chance to frequently tour around them to meet all our WeRoad people. Or alternatively, if you are based in one of these cities, come to our office as often as you wish. Take a virtual tour at C30, our HQ, Milan
- Opportunities to learn. We invest in training our employees, both on an individual basis but also as a team.
- Unlimited Holiday. You are the master of your own time. We have an unlimited holiday policy and encourage each employee to be their own entrepreneur. We also have a tradition that everyone takes at least a half-day off on their birthday.
- Fun! We schedule regular team-building events throughout the year and provide plenty of opportunities to meet our Travel Coordinators and WeRoaders.
- Best-in-class benefits. We have a work from home policy, offer a half-day off on your birthday, and give a bonus to newlyweds and new parents!
- A memorable onboarding experience. You'll have the chance to do the onboarding at our HQ in Milan, our very own coworking space called "C30" which embodies our company culture. There you'll find an open space layout, a fully equipped kitchen, an area for relaxing, table football, a company library, and a Tibetan bridge (yes.. we’re serious!).
- Opportunities to learn and grow your network. Join the training program of our holding company, OneDay. Participate in the numerous meetups and events we host at C30 or online, to share knowledge with other people in the industry.
- Best-in-class benefits. We have a generous paternity and maternity leave policy and give a bonus to newlyweds and new parents!
- Daily fresh free fruit, just grabbed from the trees, for those who come to the office :)
- Discounts and deals (Flixbus, Car2Go, CityScoot, etc.)
Ready to apply?
The selection process will consist of:
- Introductory call with P&C
- Technical and background-based interview with Hiring Manager
- Case Study + Second technical interview
WeRoad is an equal opportunity: we consider for employment all applicants, regardless of their race, religion, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, family status, political affiliation, disability, and any other legally protected characteristic.
Statistically speaking, women are less likely to apply for roles where they don't fit the job description perfectly. DON'T TRY AND BE PERFECT but just go for it and send us your application regardless.